21 March 2012

Spring at Houghton!

I think this post might actually be a life update! I wrote a paper last night, but I haven't decided if it's of general interest/if I should post it or not, so for now I'm going with what has gone on of late.

It has been absolutely gorgeous here. And at Houghton in the spring, that means going for walks, playing frisbee, sitting on the chapel steps and eating ice cream, (and if you're me) taking pictures of it. Here are a couple:


In case you couldn't tell, it's pretty much the same view (chapel and the quad), except one is at night (I hope you could tell that).



Overlooking one of the waterfalls

Do not ever overestimate the maturity of honors students in college :p


We were playing kung fu ... 
These were from Letchworth last year, but we're planning to go there this Saturday and I don't have pictures from anything lately. 

Other items of interest: 

- While in canoeing class today, I fell in the lake. [It was ... moderately warm ... I mean cool ...]

- I was re-elected Commissioner of Communications for Student Government. I made up a powerpoint slide as a part of my campaign, and it was a whole lot of fun. 
Yeah ... it's cheesy ... I know ... but I had fun making it, and it might make more sense if you know that our school mascot is highlander. =) And lest you think I have no gravity whatsoever, I did in fact add a rather long email beneath it, saying 'anyone unconvinced can read this' and gave my serious reasons for why I should be re-elected. Oh, so much fun :D

Oh, and this is our erstwhile student senate ... well, it was the goofy picture, they can be serious ... sometimes ... :)

On a different note:

This morning's chapel was very good. The speaker, Mr. Gordon MacDonald, spoke not on continuing education, which we hear about all the time, or higher education (the uppity way of saying college), but 'deeper education'. He said that he learned 4 things about this deeper education that helped him to become a better person:

- Be a good listener (don't just say 'how are you' and keep walking - really care about people and take time to listen)

- Be thankful (notice good in others and encourage them; it gives a much more positive outlook on life both for you and for the other person)

- Be reliable (don't be late to things, if you say you'll be somewhere, be there)

- Be a real friend (this kind of summarizes the others, but remember that the way you treat your friends and those around you defines the way you treat relationships in life, so if you know that you have to work on patience, kindness, etc, friends are great experience)

Hope y'all got something out of that ... it was definitely one of the better chapel talks I have heard! 

---

And now, I feel totally successful and accomplished and can't believe I really am just blogging and that this didn't take me an hour to write! Maybe I should do it more often :) Senate in half an hour ... it's a good life =)

5 comments:

  1. Hey! Nice post. Love the pictures. Great to hear from you. Keep all the updates coming....please?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how happy I am that you posted!!! And with pictures, too!! I love it :) You should definitely do it a lot more often!!
    You fell in the lake?!?!?! Now you know how I felt when I fell in the lake here :) Except I swallowed green water. Yuck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CocoaNut - The water here was brown ... I really tried not to swallow any, and at this point I think the only damages are some pretty significant bruises from falling, having the canoe fall on me, climbing back in, etc. But it was overall still a good experience!

    Hunter - glad you liked it! My camera and computer still have issues, but over break Dad got me a USB converter so I can upload pictures anyway! So more should be forthcoming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww :( Sorry you got hurt. If it's any comfort, I found myself under the sailboat with a rope wrapped around me when I fell in the lake. And I don't know how to swim at all, so obviously I was freaking out. And Dad was frantically holding onto his glasses and trying to turn the boat over at the same time as I was floating around coughing wildly. And I felt sorry for my hair, which reacted badly to the lake water . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, a blog post...and I'm glad I'm seeing this within a few days of your posting it! Congrats on reelection...not that I'm surprised. :) Also, the falling in the lake is most amusing...only because I feel like that's what I would do. :P

    ReplyDelete