26 April 2010

26 April 2010

Well, another day in Rome! I went to the catacombs of St. Sebastian, which were much as I had imagined them to be ... they were narrow, the ceilings were low, and they would make me very claustrophobic to live in. Actually being there and seeing the graves of the early Christians was an incredible experience. I think that one of my favorite things about Rome is the way history is coming alive before me. Not to mention that I particularly like Roman history! After the catacombs we went down to the Via Appia Antica, or the Old Appian Way, and saw the original Roman road! I love seeing things that I have read about! When we came back to the city wall, we saw the pillar that marked the end of the Via Appia, at the edge of the city.

On our way there we had an interesting encounter with a flock of sheep and goats. I had never seen a real flock that roamed the pastures without fences before, and it was very cool. There were also shepherds and sheep dogs. The shepherds were friendly, although they didn't exactly speak English, and one helped us out by drawing a map with his staff. It was a very cool experience!

This afternoon I went with Bethany to the Villa Borghese. We didn't actually go to the museum or anything, just went to the park and relaxed. It was good to unwind a bit after several rather hectic days of running around, trying to see everything in Rome! (We did not succeed in that, by the way. Although we did get an awful lot accomplished! Including most of the sights that are 'must sees'.)

This evening we went for dinner. I had pasta, salad, and gelato ... what better Italian meal??? It was delicious. I need to figure out how to make pasta like that. I think there was olive oil on it, but I'm not sure.

Here's the Roman road! (Sorry about the taxi driver's face in the mirror ...)



“Others, I have no doubt will forge the bronze to breathe with suppler lines, draw from the block of marble features quick with life, plead their cases better, chart with their rods the stars that climb the sky and foretell the times they rise. But you, Roman [Aeneas], remember, rule with all your power the peoples of the earth – these will be your arts: to put your stamp on the works and ways of peace, to spare the defeated, break the proud in war.”
(Aeneid, 6.977-84)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the picture of the Roman road...that is so cool! (I'm working on the jealousy thing. :P I may need counseling, though.) Sounds like you're having a blast, and I'm glad you're back to blogging--I didn't even have to bug you about it!!

    ReplyDelete