29 March 2010

29 March 2010

Well, now that it has been a ridiculously long time since I last blogged, I finally decided that there would never be a time here in my life in London when I would say to myself "Wow! There is absolutely nothing I can do now but blog!". So, I decided that now, when there is nothing else that I HAVE to do, would be the next best time! :)

Things have been going well here. Having not blogged for awhile I have, perhaps, gained a little perspective on the ways my life has changed since coming here. (Yes, believe it or not, I have thought about my blog! I have even thought about ways of wording this post, things I might say, and if I should apologize for having been gone for so long. This was just while I was walking down some street or taking notes at an art gallery; not exactly times I could open my blog and hammer out a post!) When I was first here I was kind of high on the newness of it; I posted hundreds of unedited pictures to facebook, rambled on about every little detail of my day, and generally was over the top with excitement. A few weeks ago culture shock started setting in, I got homesick,and the work started getting to me. I felt like I wasn't at the intelligence level needed for this program, and so on. Psychologically, perhaps, there is something to be said for why I didn't blog then ... maybe I felt like if I didn't have anything good to say, it was better just not to say it! However, it would be completely unfair and wrong to say these have been bad weeks! A little tougher, perhaps, but wonderful nonetheless! And now ... well, I'm back to absolutely loving it. I will try to recap a little.

Concerts - ah, concerts!!!!! Last week I went to the London Symphony Orchestra and heard the Grieg Piano Concerto, went to the Royal Opera House and saw the ballet La Fille mal gardee, today I went to a piano recital to hear Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, and so on. I still am very much liking that part of London, and the music will certainly be one of the things I miss most.

Art - I have visited some wonderful art galleries, and seen a lot of truly amazing art. I really liked the Reubens paintings we saw awhile ago, since I have 'always' (and I use that term loosely, since I have never really been into art before this semester - maybe 'intuitively' would be a better word) like outdoors scenes; natural things like landscapes and animals. However, last week was really neat because we were learning about impressionism and for the first time I felt like I really understood it. It was amazing to look at a painting and actually get what the card next to it was talking about! Today I went to the Courtauld gallery and looked at post-impressionism art; we are onto more modern-ish art this week and it certainly is a stretch. I have a feeling that the last few weeks, when we were listening to Beethoven and Chopin and looking at art that had distinguishable features, might end up being my favorite weeks of the program material-wise. But there is, of course, still hope that I will gain an appreciation for modern art! (Although I must admit that I find it unlikely ... I will certainly try; if nothing else I am here to learn.)

Yesterday Bethany and I went out to the Heath; our first time together. We walked pretty much around the border of it, then got lost and ended up cutting all the way through the middle as well. It made for 8 or so miles of walking in the woods or at least out in the open, in fields, etc. It was so nice to get out, and the weather was beautiful! We had a lot of fun, regardless of the mud. Actually, dare I say 'with' the mud? After all, what is an adventure without any challenges? It was much more fun to maneuver around ruts, jump over creeks, and run through wet spots and up slippery banks, then just calmly strolling down a paved path. Maybe not for everyone, but for me it was wonderful! It wasn't physically relaxing, but mentally I sure unwound! It was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday.

Well, I guess that is pretty much it for now ... I live and learn, quite literally! and am enjoying most minutes of it :) GStQ (I have been to Buckingham Palace, by the way, and have heard them singing "God Save the Queen" for the changing of the guard. Just fyi) :)

3 comments:

  1. I was quite happy to check your blog and find a new post! Your walk sounds like an excellent way to unwind from a week of academics. And alas, I sympathize with you regarding modern art. I much prefer impressionism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora, I didn't know you read my blog! :) I'm glad you liked the post and hope that your week goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In keeping with the general comments, I would like to say impressionism is far superior to anything the 20th century has produced.

    ReplyDelete