05 March 2010

5 March 2010

Wow, it's been awhile since I blogged! This was brought to my attention by a very kindly-intentioned (I think) friend of mine who casually mentioned that I hadn't blogged in awhile. Just as casually, if I ever discover that she blogs more than I do, I will make an effort to blog more often. So there. You know who you are :D

Going back .... wow, a lot has happened this week! That is my primary reason for not blogging - I have been very busy! Monday I went to St. Paul's Cathedral, as a part of the assignment. I find it funny and slightly ironic that just as I state myself as being resigned to the weather, we have a whole week of lovely sunshine! It was wonderful. I walked up to the top of the dome, which was some 500 steps, but it was so worth it to see the view! I was able to see all the way out to the edge of London and some fields beyond - it was pretty cool! The inside of the church itself was also very neat. It continually amazes me how much emphasis there is on WWII here. I have, of course, learned about it, but here there are monuments, etc. In the Cathedral there was a chapel from the people of Britain to the American soldiers who gave their lives in the war. It was very touching to see the way they appreciated the Americans; I suppose their view on the war was different since they were bombed. Or else maybe I just haven't been around people who were so directly influenced by the war and it's just that the British really like plaques and other things that commemorate occasions (the plaque thing is certainly true).

Tuesday I went to the Wallace Collection, which is an art collection that went on for five generations. Lady Wallace, after the death of her husband, bequeathed it to the nation on the condition that nothing be added or removed. It was amazing, as was the house. I saw a miniature of Voltaire, the largest collection of Marie Antoinette's furniture in the world, rooms filled with armor, paintings, and so much more! I loved it, and would like to go back some week when I have free time ... yeah, haha. Maybe when I'm old if I ever get a chance to visit London again!

Wednesday I went to the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery, which is thousands of paintings. I realized something most inconvenient - I'm developing this problem called an appreciation for art, which makes it quite impossible to glance at something and check it off the list! Actually, I'm thankful for it. I am slowly learning the things to look for, and it is very exciting to look at a painting and see more than some random guy who has been dead for four hundred years.

Thursday I went down to the Banqueting House at Whitehall. I learned that it was the site of the execution of Charles I, as well as a place for masques (drama), ambassador parties, and so on. It was a beautiful room, being as high as it is wide, and exactly twice as long. There were also nine huge, beautiful paintings on the ceiling. I really liked it there; it was very peaceful and calming. The downside was that during the hour or so I was listening to the audio guide tour on a nice soft bench by a large window, I nearly fell asleep! However, I made it out just fine. I walked out just a little before 4, right across from the Horse Guards Palace. Since they have their inspection daily at 4, of course I stayed! It was really neat, and reminded me a lot of the changing of the guard at Prague Castle: very elaborate, ordered, and interesting! I also went to the Science Museum, which was (for even a non-science person like me!) fascinating. There were all these life size people in model situations - a store, open heart surgery, dentist, x-ray machine, and so on. It was startling every time, although I knew they were fakes! I would look in and think 'oh, someone's fixing the exhibit' - then realize that they were after all just more real looking plastic people! The evening was also a lot of fun; I went to the church and practiced for chapel with Joia. We played the pipe organ, keyboard, she played her violin, and we both sang. The church had really good acoustics, and it was a pleasure to make music in there! It was one of the only times I had really sung with all my heart since coming to London. I loved it.

Today was plenary, and this afternoon I went to Hampstead Heath. It was wild and wonderful, and I felt so at home! I sat on a bench dedicated to a man 'who enjoyed his daily walks here' and thought that I could enjoy daily walks there, too! I hadn't had so much fun getting muddy since I was rather young! This evening our whole group went to St. Martin's Church-in-the-Fields for a chamber music concert - works by Bach, Handel and Vivaldi. It was very relaxing and well done, although when they started tuning I started really missing my cello! Ah well, I shall be home sometime .... :)

If you are still reading, then I congratulate you for making it through the week! I found it to be busy and, although somewhat stressful, a lot of fun. The places we went and the things we read I really enjoyed, for the most part. Now for the weekend: paper! GStQ

2 comments:

  1. "Just as casually, if I ever discover that she blogs more than I do, I will make an effort to blog more often." -- ah, so now I have to blog to make you blog? ;)

    Wallace -- as in William wallace, as in the Scottish guy who led the Scottish revolution against the English, as in G.A. Henty's book "In Freedom's Cause"?! *turns lime green* (*with jealousy, in case you equate turning green with seasickness...no worries there, k?*)

    I hope your paper goes well - actually, I'm sure it will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment, Erika! And since you freely admit it I will say that yes, if you blog more often, I will also make an effort to do the same!

    As far as Wallace, the Wallace Collection is unrelated to William Wallace, the Scottish hero. However, I have been to the exact place in Parliament where he stood for trial, and I have also been to the Wallace arch where he was executed. So no in this case, but yes definitely to having seen that stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete