12 November 2009

Holidays

Today I walked into Philharmonia rehearsal and heard one of the players practicing their parts for the Christmas Prism production coming up the beginning of December. It made me feel like it was already winter, which is a very conflicting feeling for me. I love some things about winter, and at the same time I know that I will end up longing for days with more sunlight! But I do like Christmas music a lot, so I am happy that we are already rehearsing it.

To pull back to a more current holiday, today I worked as a waitress at a banquet here. It was the senior citizen thanksgiving dinner, and I worked with two other girls serving coffee and tea and clearing plates and being generally useful and helpful. It was so much fun. I felt like I was walking into a treasure house to walk into a room full of older people. They have had so many life experiences, and there is so much I could learn from them! Hopefully I'll be able to get to know some of them over the next four years, as they all live in the Houghton area.

This evening was the first annual Houghton Freshman Tradition and the Passing on of the Eagles Legend and the Scarves. Okay, so that long title is mainly a product of my imagination. What it is is the first annual scarf giveaway. Well, that's not quite accurate either. The story is that many years ago there were several Houghton students who were killed in a car crash. To make sure these students aren't forgotten, a tradition is being started that every year the freshman class hears about these students. Then, we all get a Houghton scarf with our class year. My scarf is purple and gold plaid and very long and warm. (So is everybody else's.) I like it a lot.

I also colored a picture of a turkey today, which was fun and relaxing. Sometimes I think that people suffer great losses when they force themselves to 'grow up'. What's wrong with having fun with pretty colors? Isn't that basically the definition of people who paint? So yes, I had a lot of fun and don't regret it at all! It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. I agree -- having fun with pretty colors is not juvenile! I really like reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete