23 November 2009

I realize that I have been blogging on a theme recently. Can anyone tell that I'm very excited to go home? :) Well, I am. In 24 hours I'll be home, Lord willing. Today I walked out of my last class and felt unreal relief. It was unbelievable. I love college, and don't know why I would feel this way. It was slightly akin to the feeling when I finished my last problem of my math final and graduated from high school. Ridiculous, considering that this has just been a few months of college now. And I'm not tired of it in the least. On the contrary, it seems like we have just begun!

I am at the Christmas Prism rehearsal right now, listening to the Houghton College Choir run through "This is My Father's World". They are doing a lovely job. (If you are wondering why I am online during a rehearsal, it is because the rehearsal is three hours long. And, given that I'm only playing in three pieces and none of them are even close to an hour, I have plenty of downtime in there.)

I want to share a poem with you that I found some time ago. I have no idea who wrote it and no copyright infringement is intended (if it is copyrighted).

The Tandem Bike

At first, I saw God as my observer, my judge,
Keeping track of the things I did wrong,
So as to know whether I merited heaven or hell when I die.
He was out there sort of like a president,
I recognized his picture when I saw it, but I really didn’t know him.

But later on when I met Christ,
It seemed as though life was rather like a bike ride,
A tandem bike,
And I noticed that Christ was in the back helping me pedal.

I don’t know when it was that he suggested we change places,
But life has not been the same since.
When I had control, I knew the way.
It was rather boring, but predictable,
The shortest distance between two points.
But when he took the lead, he know delightful long cuts –
Up mountains, and through rocky places at breakneck speeds.
It was all I could do to hang on!
Even though it looked like madness, he said “Pedal.”
I worried and asked, “Where are you taking me?”
He laughed and didn’t answer, and I started to learn to trust.
I forgot my boring life and entered into the adventure.
And when I’d forget and say, “I’m scared,” he’d lean back and touch my hand.
He took me to people with gifts that I needed,
Gifts of healing, acceptance, and joy.
They gave me gifts to take on my journey, and we were off again.
He’s say, “Give the gifts away; they’re extra baggage, too much weight.”
So I did, to the people we met,
And I found that in giving I received – but still out burden was light.

I did not trust him, at first, in control of my life. I thought he’d wreck it.
But he knows biking secrets, knows how to take sharp corners,
Knows how to jump to clear rocks,
Even knows how to fly to shorten scary passages.
And I am learning to be quiet and pedal in the strangest places.
And I’m beginning to enjoy the view – and the cool breeze on my face –
With my companion Jesus Christ.
And when I’m sure I just can’t do any more, he must smiles and says, “Pedal.”

-Author unknown


It's a good reminder for me, and I hope it puts new perspective on your day!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving week - I probably will be offline and not blogging again until sometime next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment