16 January 2010

15 January 2010

Greetings from London! I am staying here in London with Houghton College as a part of their honor program, and will have classes starting Monday and concluding April 19th. The trip began on a Virgin Atlantic flight from Newark, NF. We arrived in the Heathrow Airport at around 1000 this morning (all times being London time) and got out no problem, met up with our professors and TA’s, and took a pre-hired bus here to the Highbury Centre arriving here around 1230. We got our room keys in the conference room, (Bethany and I are sharing a room this semester as well,) and had a few minutes to get settled in. Each of us was assigned to a group of 5 and given a leader to familiarize us with London. Prof. Chamberlin led the group I was in. Also in the group were Kathryn Dygert, Joel Ernst, Hannah Hannover, and Annelise Hein. I drew 10 pounds at an ATM, saw where the Highbury/Islington tube stop was bombed in WWII, studied the tube map I got at the HC a little, and went to a grocery store and bought bread, mayonnaise, and turkey ham at a self-checkout kiosk for pounds and a few pence. When we got back at around 1430 we had free time until dinner at 1800, which I used to go online, make contact with my family, and catch up on what was going on at Houghton. Dinner was vegetable soup, vegetable lasagna, and apple crisp with pudding and raisons on it. The soup was self serve in pitchers, with stacks of bowls there. The lasagna was served on plates. Each plate had one piece, and that piece was about six inches by four inches by two inches. Laura Jackson, one of our TA’s, explained how to save food (for lunches, since they aren’t provided). This evening I organized my stuff, (I’m done unpacking – so much easier than moving to Houghton!) and started my homework that’s due Tuesday. Things seem good so far. GStQ

No comments:

Post a Comment