21 January 2010

21 January 2010

This morning was the last colloquy of the week - it's so hard to believe that we're almost done! We were discussing Virgil's Aeneid, and Epictetus's Enchiridion. Again it went half an hour over, but there was nothing wrong with that - it was a wonderful discussion! After that I practiced piano since I'm playing for chapel tomorrow, which was an epic disaster. (By epic, I am using it in the correct way: on a very large scale!) Well, the piano . . . isn't the best quality, by which I mean that not all the keys work, and it's so out of tune that an octave sounds closer to a major seventh! So that's pretty terrible, but I managed to get the chords figured out and written down. (The writing part was necessary since we don't have music for three of the songs and I had to figure out the chords.) After that I decided that it was high time I went out for awhile, so packed up and headed for Parliament. I took the Victoria tube to Victoria station, then walked down Victoria road to Big Ben and Parliament (and incidentally Westminster Abbey and the Thames - how did all the awesome stuff get in one place?). I got to Parliament and discovered that a large group of children were just getting ready to go in and I was advised to wait for about half an hour. So - half an hour to kill in awesome London! Not really a problem. I walked down the street to the bridge across the Thames, and just stood there looking out at the water when I was seized with an uncontrollable impulse to write. So I did, (see here if you're interested,) then went back to Parliament, discovered that pictures were not allowed (sorry)I just enjoyed the experience to the fullest - and really want to go back - and realized that the movie Amazing Grace really is rather accurate for how it works! That was fun. I then took the tube/bus back to Aberdeen Lane, and got home! An afternoon definitely well spent! GStQ

4 comments:

  1. I'm a terrible friend!! You've posted three times since I've been on. :-/ I think I'll chalk it up to excessive college work. Or something.

    But, to show that I actually HAVE been on and DO read your blog, I shall proceed to comment. You know how professors always ask that you write papers in such a way that you prove that you've actually read the book about which you are writing? Well, I will Comment on Specific Things from your Post (Words capitalized to show Importance).

    Jennifer + Piano ≠ Epic Disaster. Never.

    You're so grown up! *sniff* Walking around in London all by yourself...randomly deciding to pop in and visit Parliament...good grief.

    Thanks for updating...I know I told you that you HAD to post a lot while in London, but here I am not even taking advantage of it!! But I will! Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to play the piano, even if it was pathetic. :) Reuben wants to know if the piano had an English accent:) Also glad you're enjoying the Cranberry Centere:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica - that made me smile! I'm glad you really are reading my blog (in fact, I would be heartbroken if you weren't; wondering what had happened to my writing the last ten years that you no longer wanted to read it) and, I assume, enjoying it. As far as my piano playing never being an epic disaster - you obviously haven't heard me practising my latest Chopin! It . . . needs a lot of work, to put it nicely.

    Elizabeth, the Cranberry Centre is lovely, and you can tell Reuben that if that was a piano's English accent, I would fear to play any other such English pianos! However, the piano at the Highbury Baptist Church (where we had chapel) was actually okay. So it must have been that particular piano - perhaps feeling a bit under the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, if I could handle Slenting (YES, I just mentioned Slenting in public, on the internet, where everyone and their mother and dog can read it and wonder...) then I will ALWAYS enjoy reading your writings. Because your blog posts are...how shall I say...an improvement on Slenting. :D

    Did Elizabeth tell you that we sang "The Flood" on the way to lessons yesterday morning? That song is a timeless classic.

    And by the way, seeing that blogger accepted my "is not equal to" sign (there must be a name for that symbol but I've mercifully forgotten it) makes me incredibly happy. :) So did you end up taking that whole Chopin book with you?

    ReplyDelete