28 January 2010

28 January 2010

Today was a busy day! After colloquy this morning, you might think that was not the case: I listened to music and read for fun for almost two hours! When Bethany finished her colloquy around noon, we had lunch and made our Plans. :-) Yay for London! We still had to go to the Guildhall Art Museum and look at the remains of the Roman amphitheatre for our assignment this week, and Bethany knew that it was free from 3:30 to 4:30 in the afternoon. We decided to leave the HC right after lunch, go sit in on Parliament, go the the Guildhall, then attend Evensong at Westminster Abbey. Evensong is at five, so we figured we would have time to get our assignment done and still be there in time. After arranging to have our dinners saved, we set off on our adventure. We took the Victoria line to Green Park, then switched to the Jubilee line for Westminster. We walked out and saw Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament right there, and I knew that the Thames was right on my left . . . okay, I know I've mentioned this before; that is my favourite section of the city to date! We went down and cleared security with no problems. Below is a picture Bethany took: this plaque was in Westminster Hall, and marks the actual place where the trial of William Wallace took place.

It was pretty incredible to be standing there! I first read about his trial years ago, and I was very glad that Bethany noticed it so we could take note of it!

The House of Commons was debating remembrance of the Holocaust, and the neatest thing about it was when one of the MP's was speaking and brought up why the Jews were hated, some history including Jesus, then the man said, "As a Christian . . . " I was stunned - and wanted to move to Glasgow, which is the district he represents. It was so neat to hear a public representitive use his faith and Christian history in debate.

When we left Parliament, Bethany took a picture of me with the statue of Oliver Cromwell that is right out front there.

She also took pictures of me with that same august dude at the Guildhall, but it wasn't a nice picture (I was trying to imitate his scowl . . . )so I decided on this one! At the Guildhall we weren't allowed to take any pictures, but we saw some fantastic artwork (it wasn't required - but how are you supposed to walk into a place full of amazing art and now stop???) and finally got down to the amphitheatre. It was, actually, quite creepy since there were green mesh people positioned like they really were gladiators, etc, and sound effects. And it was dark, with lights shifting and turning on and off . . . anyway, I was really glad I wasn't there alone!

We then walked all the way down Paul's Walk on the Thames to Wesminster Abbey, which was quite a distance, but a scenic walk as well. We got there just as the bells were chiming, and got in just fine. It was amazing. I don't know how to begin to describe it. I'm inserting a clip I found on You Tube - it looked exactly like this, except it was darker, and the little red lamps on. We were sitting between the choir and the high alter - you can see people sitting there. Also, the organ was more prominant today. But pretty much, this is Westminster Abbey's choir, and they are magnificant.

After Evensong we went home (HC). It was raining gently, and it was good to get back and have hot broth for dinner! Tomorrow is the last class for week two - hard to imagine. :) GStQ

To end, I am copying a prayer that they gave us at the Abbey. I really liked it, and I hope you do too. It is attributed to St. Benedict.

O gracious and holy Father, give us wisdom to perceive thee, diligence to seek thee, patience to wait for thee, eyes to behold thee, a heart to meditate on thee, and a life to proclaim thee; through the power of the spirit of Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 comment:

  1. So I'm posting. Mostly because the idea of calling Oliver Cromwell an "August Dude" cracked me up. And because I really wanted to cheer on St. Benedict, though when it comes to prayers I'm more of a fan of St. Francis.

    ReplyDelete