29 January 2010

29 January 2010

I typed the date, then took a deep breath. Sometimes, I just need to remind myself to breathe! London isn't bad at all, on the contrary it's wonderful! However, it can be easy to get so busy that I just never stop - and that is not good! So, now that I am breathing and can think, I will tell you about my day.

Today marks the completion of one cycle of London: we got our first papers back from the first week, and now have gone through the entire routine. Of course, there are things like new museums, galleries, trips to places outside of London, several dozen more things to read, and details like that. In other words, I have not yet experienced everything - just been through the parts of London that are routine!

This morning we had Plenary (class) number 4 and finished through St. Augostine and the split of the Roman Empire into East and West. Mr. Prof. Lipscomb went just far enough to hint that Attilla the Hun was being a threat and that the Germans were about to overrun that Latin emperors. However, he didn't really get into that.

When we finished plenary a group of us went to a Thai/Japanese/Vegetarian restaurant for lunch since it was Joel's birthday. It was the first time I have eaten such food as vegetarian duck, chicken and beef. I really don't know what else there was, but it was very interesting. I am still wondering if it was that I like Tiawianese food better, or if it was just that the Tiawanese food I've had before was by a Tiawanese lady who really knew how to cook! It wasn't bad, though - I'm just really really not a vegetarian!

We got back to the HC by 2 this afternoon, and the weekend routine - writing papers - began! This week's assignment was to compare or contrast the Hebrews and Christians and their relations with their surrounding pagan cultures. I started going through my copious notes (they said that we would be taking 'copious notes during plenary', and that is certainly true! Out of 4 plenaries, I've taken 42 pages of neat notes on college ruled, large-sized notebook paper. I think that might be past copious. Overkill, perhaps? My justification is that I will only be doing this program once, and I should learn and absorb all I can. Since we are covering far too much material to absorb now, I need to write down as much of it as is possible so I can learn it over the summer or whenever I have time!

This evening we had a surprise birthday ice cream time for Joel, then Kathryn read us makeovers on fairy tales. It was a funny book - Little Red Riding Hood became Little Red Running Shorts, who outran the wolf and got there in time to save her grandmother. Jack was caught by the giant before he could ever climb up the beanstalk. And on it went. It was a fun break from papers! GStQ

No comments:

Post a Comment