18 January 2010

18 January 2010

This morning I woke up at about 0750, went to breakfast, and went to the first plenary session at the Church. Plenary – wow. It was amazing! We were leaning about Ancient Greece, a time period I am very interested in. I have a feeling that my major will end up being Literature or Philosophy, which are the Lipscomb’s specialties, or else History – or maybe some kind of combination! There was so much that I learned. I had lunch in the library, then went magging. (Note: MAGGing stands for Museum And Gallery Guides and was not original; I learned it from last year’s Londonerds.) We had received our assignments this morning at plenary, and this week’s included going to the British Museum.



Most of us went there, although there were two other museums listed that I will go to later in the week. We took the 19 bus to Chinatown, then walked to the museum (which wasn’t very far). I had forgotten to put the memory card back in my camera after uploading the pictures to my computer, so my camera was useless since the internal memory only holds 8 or so pictures and they were pictures of my family. So, Bethany very kindly let me use her camera. She probably figured she would get more pictures that way, anyway . . . We looked at pots of various and sundry and many and lots and quantities of ancient pots and figurines from the Minoans and Myceans and Athenians and Spartians and Corinthians and Egyptians.















It was fascinating. I especially liked the Egyptian saragophous, of which the placard said the lid alone weighed over 900 kilos (2000 lbs).



It was beautifully decorated.



We stayed and looked at other things, which were also amazing, then had to go.



We went downtown and bought cell phones, looked for maps, resisted the urge to buy chocolate, etc. It was getting dark by the time we got home, but things were fine. I got my phone set up, went to dinner, (which was Chinese food - yum!)and enjoyed the evening since I did my homework yesterday. The day was amazing, and we even managed the public transportation system without any 'professional' help! I am looking forward to the discussion tomorrow - we're going to be discussing the Peloponnesian War and Antigone. Should be fun. GStQ

3 comments:

  1. Yay...a picture!! You must have had an excellent blogger teacher. (Just kidding!!) I can even click on it and everything [[niceringbytheway*smirk*]].

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good; I'm glad it was satisfactory. And I hope that you continue to enjoy my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the pictures! I love blog posts with pictures! Sounds like you're having fun!

    -Annetta

    ReplyDelete