27 January 2010

27 January 2010

Today was a rather unusual day for me! I had colloquy this morning, then read the assigned readings from Saint Augustine's Confessions and took a nap until about one this afternoon. I then finished my readings and went to the British Library. For anyone who really likes my pictures, I'm sorry - they were not permitted in the gallery I was in. However, I saw some really neat things: manuscripts of Beowulf, Handel's Messiah, the Magna Carta, Codex Sinactus, etc. I was thinking about going back to my favorite part of town (around Parliament) but it was raining/misting when I came out and I decided to go right home. So, as far as my outings went today, they were quite limited. However, I did notice some neat things.

When I walked out of the Highbury Centre, there was one of those little kids on scooters out front. They seem to be everywhere, although I don't know that I've mentioned them before: little kids scooting down the street. I guess it is easier for the parents than having to carry them or convince them to walk. So, I said "how are you?" thinking it interesting that for once the children in the foreign culture can understand me! Although, to be honest, with my American accent, sometimes I wonder if my Ukrainian was easier for those children to understand :)This little one obviously understood me; she looked up and gave me the cheekiest grin, although she didn't answer. I wonder if she was amused by my accent, had been told not to talk to strangers, or what? It was an interesting start to my foray into the city.

When I had gotten a little further down the street, a woman walking a dog came out of a gate from a house. It was a very little dog, less than a foot high, and yet it was so fat it waddled like a duck when it walked. That kept me entertained for some time, until the slow pace finally convinced me to pass the duo and continue more briskly on my way.

The London air was brisk, and I was glad I was wearing a turtleneck, but it was very good for walking. Things I've noticed about London: they don't say 'stop somewhere', they say 'pop in'. Also, people really do not look at each other on the street. I've finally learned this, (which hopefully makes me stick out less) and not have only the regret that I can't study people as well. I know that on the Houghton campus, not only did I look at most people I walked past, I would often greet them as well. Here it is so different. I get vague impressions of height, clothing, etc, (that woman had a black leather purse; that man was tall and had a red checked shirt on) but nothing like faces. Something else I'm still trying to decide is if I should read Sherlock Holmes while I'm here. I really like reading those stories, but I am having a dilemma about it. On one side, I would really like to read them and find out that I now know where the places are. For instance, the other day I picked it up for a couple minutes and was reading about The Hound of the Baskervilles, and saw that Stapleton had taken the cab to Trafalgar Square. My thought? "I know where that is! I've seen buses heading there!" So that part is really neat. However, on the other side, when I was walking home it was after sunset and misty and I couldn't help but think about all the things that happened to people in those stories on the streets of London! So, I still haven't decided what to do about that. But . . . I'm in London! And that's just flat out exciting. GStQ

2 comments:

  1. Sherlock Holmes...I wish that there was a series of those books that were unedited except for having the scary parts taken out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that - especially when it's misting and dark and I'm like "oh yes, and by the way, someone turned up missing in one of these dark alleys . . ." :)

    ReplyDelete