20 January 2010

20 January 2010

Well, it's another post for another day! Today was busy. After breakfast this morning we again had colloquy. Today we discussed Plato's Republic and a couple of poems by Sappho. We went about half an hour over, since things were going very well, and had to finally quit so the next group could come in! After that I went to the London Museum.The internet here is being funky and not letting me upload pictures, which is unfortunate, but there were some wonderful artifacts. We went first to the prehistoric part of the museum, and looked at skulls, archaic swords, and other interesting things. We then went through the part called "Londonium", which was London in the time of the Romans (interestingly enough, named after the river we now refer to as the Thames) and looked at models of the houses, bricks, etc. I then went on to the Victoria and Albert Museum, where I was assigned to look at the Trajan Column. I went far beyond that, since there was a lot of fascinating stuff, and took several pictures. However, I was a little less picture-happy than I was in the British Museum! :) I then walked around London, went to Sainsbury's, where I bought a box of pineapple juice and a roll for lunch. (Note: contrary to rumor about it being the chocolate shoppe, I did not buy any chocolate! In fact, I didn't even see any except for things like kit-kat bars which I absolutely refuse to buy! Not that they're bad in and of themselves, but when I have heard rumors of wonderful, inexpensive British chocolate, I will not pay a dollar for a kit-kat bar!) I was heading to Westminster Abby for evensong (which I thought was a 1500) and realized I wouldn't have enough time to get there. So, I hopped on the tube (not literally, for any who might be concerned: I stepped on) and went down there. It was nice, because I walked out of the tube station and saw Big Ben right in front of me. Sometimes when I get out, particularly in stations I'm unfamiliar with, it takes me a minute to orient myself. Happily, this one was easy! I went to the Abbey and found out that evensong is actually at 1700, so it was too late since I have to be back for dinner by 1800. I then walked across the road to the Houses of Parliament to see if they are ever open for the general public to come in and watch them debate. It turns out that they are :) so I'm very excited about that and definitely plan to go back - maybe next week, since this one is pretty booked! I then headed home by bus and then on the tube, reading the Aeneid on my way, eating my bun, and drinking pineapple juice (which I had poured into my water bottle for easier drinking and to avoid spills). It was very nice. When I got off at Highbury/Islington, I went down to Tesco's and got milk, since we don't really drink milk here and I miss it. I bought a little jug of organic, whole milk - and drank it at one time! It was so good. So, between the juice and the milk, I had a very happy lunchtime! When I got back it was finishing readings, then dinner, then more readings, then chapel planning. Mr. Professor Lipscomb, our two TA's, Audrey and myself are the ones who are planning the chapels, and we had a very good, two hour meeting. I am really looking forward to this. We are tying together the things we have been reading with scripture, songs and prayer. It was really neat, and it gave me more insight into the readings as well as doing something I really enjoy (planning songs and scripture to go with a certain theme). I then came back to my room and finished my reading of Epictetus Enchiridion, and talked and laughed with Bethany. Now I am here - amazingly - on wireless in my room! I have never been able to stay online for more than a couple of minutes - now it has been considerably longer! Of course, skype, facebook, gmail and this blog itself are alternately not working - and google search is flat-out on strike. Ha! I shall succeed and post anyway . . . I hope . . . :) GStQ

No comments:

Post a Comment