11 February 2010

11 February 2010

So, to pick up from yesterday . . .

Monday and Tuesday were quieter days for me; I stayed here at the Highbury Centre and did reading. I was trying an experiment - would it be easier and/or make more sense if I waited to do my museum and gallery assignments until after I learned more from the week? The answer, if the last two days are any indication, is a resounding yes! My magging yesterday and today was wonderful. Yesterday I went to the British Library. I studied the Magna Carta, among other things like the original score of Handel's Messiah. One interesting thing about the Magna Carta is thinking about the way it influences life even now. On the way home there was a guy on the tube reading a paper about a woman who had been convicted as guilty of murder. She had been convicted by a jury - a provision of the Magna Carta (as interpreted at a later date by Parliament). It was neat to be able to tie together some of the things I've been learning with what is actually going on.

I spent a couple hours more at St. Bartholomew's Church than I planned on, but it was well worth it. Phil, the man in charge, decided apparently that Joia, Isabel and myself were exceptionally interested in learning. He gave us a tour around the church, (please note that part of the movie Amazing Grace was filmed where I was standing!!!), told us about the different parts of the church, etc. He then unlocked a door marked "private" and took us up to the place the bells are rung from and the organ loft. It also gave us an amazing view of the entire church below.

I then went to evening prayer at Westminster Abbey. It was incredible, as usual. The music was wonderful. I love the way the organ can fill the entire Abbey. Oh - one note about Sunday, that I didn't have time to finish with my timeline of the day: In the evening, I went to an organ recital at St. Paul's Cathedral. He played Bach Toccata and Fugue, and Elgar and a prelude - it was breathtaking. He somehow filled the whole cathedral with sound, and at the same time keep the notes distinct and the melodies and harmonies in proportion to each other. I had never heard music like that before, and now I really want to hear more of it.

Well, so I got through another day - maybe tomorrow will suffice for today's adventures! :) GStQ

1 comment:

  1. I. am. envious. Evensong. Toccata and Fugue. Elgar. Organ. William Wilberforce's church. Incredibly jealous.

    ReplyDelete