21 February 2010

21 February 2010

I know it's early in the morning, but I wanted to post about my morning!

Last night Bethany and I decided to go to St. Augustine's Church, which is a Church of England church about a ten minute's walk from here. It was raining this morning, so we hiked off with our umbrellas, and got down there in plenty of time. When we got there, though, we found a sign on the door stating that there would be no service there this morning. They were celebrating with another church 20 minutes away. Since the service at St. Augustine's that we had been planning to attend was at 10:30, we didn't have time to get anywhere else. The latest services around town seem to be at 11:00, and we couldn't get anywhere in half an hour! So, we decided to come back to the Highbury Centre and sing along to Bethany's iTunes and listen to a sermon online. It was really neat. She found a sermon from Holy Trinity Brompton by James Haith called "You've Got the Love" (I couldn't figure out how to embed it, but here is the link to the page.)It is a little more than half an hour long, but if you can make the time to listen to it, I do not think you would regret it. I thought he had some very good things to say.

One of the songs Bethany played was one from the Vineyard Church, entitled "If You Say Go". I found the lyrics very meaningful for where I am in my life right now, and I hope that you find encouragement to follow God's leading in them as well.

If You say go, we will go
If You say wait, we will wait
If You say step out on the water
And they say it can't be done
We'll fix our eyes on You and we will come

Your ways are higher than our ways
And the plans that You have laid
Are good and true
If You call us to the fire
You will not withdraw Your hand
We'll gaze into the flames and look for You

So that was my church service this morning. It was strange to not go to a church with a building and a name and singers up front and announcements, but no less meaningful.

One of the verses I've been thinking about (since sometime last semester) is Hosea 10:12 - "Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the Lord, till he come and rain righteousness upon you". I've been wondering what it means to break up fallow ground - I think it means leave no area of my life unused; live life to the fullest. And it's supposed to be done in righteousness and following the Lord. That's what I've come up with so far, at least! The last week or two the idea of leaving a legacy has been coming back strongly - what am I doing with my life, and what will I leave when I die? For being 18, it is not too early to ask that question! I hope you ask the same one.

No comments:

Post a Comment