19 February 2010

19 February 2010

Today was not really the typical Friday for me! This morning we had colloquy instead of plenary, since we just had plenary on Wednesday (compliments of Monday and Tuesday in Canterbury!). We covered some of the Canterbury Tales in that. After colloquy was over, I started organizing my thoughts about my paper and what I might like to have as a thesis. I ate lunch somewhere between 11 and 1, I don't really remember when, and called my family. I was just going to say hello and get/give an update, since I hadn't talked to them in a whole week! Then, I was going to spend the afternoon writing my paper so that by now it would be all done and ready for editing tomorrow ... haha. I talked with my family until 3:30, when I had an appointment to do our music listening assignment with another girl. In fact, I had forgotten about it, and was still talking to my brother when she knocked on the door. So, as you can see, I did not do what I had planned this afternoon. It was so worth it, though! After half an hour or an hour she left, and Bethany came back from her afternoon of exploring and walking around London, and I actually did get to work on my paper!

At about 5 I got ready to come here to the Lipscomb's flat, since I was scheduled to watch their children this evening. I didn't need to be here until 5:30 and had somehow forgotten or something that it is a two minute walk. So, I walked around the 'block' (London is NOT laid out in squares!) a couple times and enjoyed breathing in the outdoors air, even if it is in the city! We had dinner, the professors left, and the kids and I read books, played with toys, and so on. It was strange to actually play - I realized I hadn't read a simple book just for the fun of it in a very, very long time! I hadn't ever done any babysitting like this before, but things went fine and they all are sleeping now (and have been for 2 hours). When Mr. Prof. and I were arranging the details for this evening, he said something like "Of course, we expect that after the children are in bed you will work on your paper". In his next email he clarified that I was not required to work on my paper, he just suspected that I would want to. In fact, it was what I wanted to do, and I have been doing just that and it has been wonderful to have it so quiet! I have been listening to the assigned music, and now I am listening to a clarinet concerto on volume 1 and my iTunes volume at half. It is so nice ... but the music is from my album titled "Tranquility", the house is silent, and it is evening. I was, admittedly, having trouble staying awake while writing my paper. So, I thought I'd take a minute (or 5) to share my day and wake up a little before returning to my writing! GStQ

No comments:

Post a Comment