01 February 2010

1 February 2010

Today was a day different from any day I have had since coming here to London. We left for Bath at 7:37 this morning, getting there around 11:30 this morning. Once we got there we headed for the center of town, where we split up. Bethany and I went to a Sainsbury's and bought bread, cheese, and biscuits (cookies). We sat on a bench and ate our lunch, then began our day's assignments. The first place we went was the Roman baths, which were nothing short of amazing. We split up to go at our own paces, so I was alone most of the time. One neat thing was that included in the price of admission was an audio guide, so I was able to learn a lot that I probably would have never been able to figure out with only the signs. I learned a lot - it was fascinating. One thing I have to mention is that I really did try the famous spa water that has 42 minerals in it. I had been warned that it was not good and that I wouldn't like it. My conclusion? It could use a peppermint tea bag (naturally, the water there is warm,) but at the same time it was not as bad as the water at my home if we don't filter it, or Houghton water for that matter.

After that Bethany and I went for a walking tour of the town - all around the river, town, circle, (seeing houses such as that of former MP and Prime Minister William Pitt!) and out more toward the country. There were some nice parks/open places, including a little 'garden' that was just like a lawn with a maze in it. At the end of the day, when we had extra time, Bethany and I went through the maze.

We also went to Bath Abbey, which was stunning. To realize that there were so many thousands of people buried under it was amazing - as was reading the memorial stones on the sides. And seeing the enormous stained glass windows. And the white and gold high alter. Anyway . . . yes, it was amazing!

It was a long day, and I slept on the ride home - which was, thankfully, about an hour shorter than the ride out. I guess we hit rush hour on the way out . . . or our driver was impatient on the way back . . . or something. At any rate, I was glad to be back! GStQ

No comments:

Post a Comment