03 February 2010

3 February 2010

Yesterday we didn't have any classes; it was a reading day to let us do some of the readings ahead for this coming week since our schedule is different (after going to Bath). Since I didn't go outside all day and not too much happened that needs to be recorded in a blog for the present and all posterity, I didn't post. :)

Today was much more interesting. We had plenary this morning, learning from the decline of Rome to Charlemagne. It was very interesting - one more piece in this thing known as the history of Western Civilization. We also learned about what happened to the Byzantine Empire and the rise of Islam. After plenary was chapel - we sang all our music a Capella, since we are getting into the period of Gregorian chants and are trying to model the music a little after that. We sang an African song, which was rather lively, a hymn, our theme song "Guide My Feet" and Lord Listen to Your Children Praying. The last was neat because it's one of my favorites that I have been thinking about recently, although I haven't heard it in a church since I was eight or nine.

This is one of the best performances I found of it.

Bethany and I ate lunch while walking down the street, which was fun and made me feel like a real Londoner, and this afternoon we went to the British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, and the British Library. We saw amazing, incredible things like the Lindisfarne Gospels. There was other neat stuff too, at the other places, but it was more detail work such as looking at coins, grave excavations, and so on.

One thing that also happened as we were travelling around today was there were a lot of musicians in the tube stations. When we first got here there seemed to be quite a few, then I hadn't heard any in awhile. Today we heard guitar, saxaphone, and clarinet, all in different stations! It was so nice - I miss being surrounded by music, and to hear it playing was wonderful. Something about the way the tube stations are built, with their long corridors and escalator-ways or something makes for good acoustics, and I enjoy it a lot since they're usually quite good! GStQ

No comments:

Post a Comment